Top 4 Reasons Why LED Lights Are Energy Efficient

0 Flares 0 Flares ×

LED lights are commonly discussed in the news today, for a variety of different reasons. Above all, there’s a great deal of emphasis on the fact that they’re considered “energy efficient”. But what does this mean exactly, and is it really the case? For a better understanding of this important topic, here are the top 4 reasons why LED lights are energy efficient, making them the best choice for residential, commercial and industrial applications.

Lots of Light and Little Heat

LEDs use only a fraction of the energy used by CFLs or incandescents to produce the same amount of light. For example, the standard 40 watt incandescent bulb produces 400 to 500 lumens (a measurement of light brightness). To produce this light with CFLs, you would need to use 8 to 12 watts.

LEDs are simply more efficient; Flexfire LEDs’ UltraBright strip lights, for example, each foot of reel produces 400 to 670 lumens for just 4.4 to 7.5 watts.

The reason for this is that the vast majority of energy that goes into LED lights is transferred into light. When properly engineered, many LED lights operate near 80% efficiency. That means 80% of the energy used becomes light. Incandescent bulbs on the other hand, work at just 20% efficiency, meaning that 80% of the energy used is transferred into heat—instead of light.

The U.S. Energy Information Administration estimates that 17% of the total energy used by the United States’ commercial and residential sectors in 2012 went to lighting. That means switching to more efficient LEDs could have a dramatic impact on the country’s energy consumption.

Longer Lasting

When a light bulb goes dead, it costs energy to replace it. First, a factory must use energy to build its replacement. Then more energy is used to ship the light bulb to a retail store or distribution warehouse. Finally, it costs energy (along with time and money) to go out and buy the bulb and install it in your home.

Flexfire LEDs strip lights are rated for 50,000 hours of use, meaning you can install a strip light in your home and not have to replace it for more than ten years under most circumstances. Now that’s a lot of energy saved!

Hazardous Waste

At some point, even your super efficient LED light will succumb to the laws of thermodynamic entropy and die. When this happens, however, disposing of your light will be a much simpler and more energy efficient process than disposing of supposedly “eco-friendly” CFLs.

All CFLs contain mercury. Exposure to this highly toxic heavy metal can result in neurological disorders, kidney damage and central nervous system problems. While the EPA calls on consumers to recycle CFL bulbs to prevent hazardous material from entering the environment and ground water, in far too many cases the bulbs simply end up in landfills.

In addition to being UL Listed, Flexfire LEDs’ products are RoHS certified, which means they don’t exceed maximum levels for six restricted materials including lead and mercury.

Smart Control

LED lights, like incandescents, turn off and on nearly instantaneously. Combined with the energy efficiency, long life span and advanced control features, LEDs have become the lighting source of choice for home automation and smart lighting projects.

Installing a smart lighting system automates routine tasks such as turning off the lights when you leave a room. A smart lighting system could also connect to the internet to track the sunrise and sunset each day of the year, and turn on and off a home’s LED lights accordingly.

Not only will smart lighting systems use less energy, but they will also make your body more energy efficient! Matching changes in light temperature and colors to the natural circadian rhythm set by sunlight has been shown to increase concentration, health and overall well-being in humans.

Any Questions?

Do you have any more questions about LED lights? We’d love to lend a hand and discuss LED strip lighting possibilities with you whenever you’re ready.


Phone: 1-844-FLEXFIRE (1-844-353-9347)




0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 LinkedIn 0 0 Flares ×